Barrie: Food Safety Tips To Follow
Food Safety tips to follow:
- Buy fresh-looking fruits and vegetables, without bruises, shriveled kin, mold, or slimey. Never buy anything that smells bad. Only buy the quantity you need (or will consume before the food spoils)
- Separate meats from fruits & vegetables in the shopping cart
- Handle fresh fruits and vegetables carefully. Put produce away promptly, storing in the crisper of your refrigerator.
- Keep all cut fruits and vegetables covered, in the refrigerator. Throw away produce you have kept too long, and has gone bad.
- Store prepared fruit salads and other cut produce in the refrigerator until just before serving.
- Throw away cut produce that has been out of the refrigerator for four hours or more.
- Always wash fresh fruits and vegetables thoroughly in clean drinking water (without detergent or bleach) before eating
- Keep separate utensils and cutting boards separate for meats and vegetables.
- Wash all countertops and utensils thoroughly when handling food.
- Thoroughly wash hands before preparing food, and immediately after handling raw meat.
- Always clean any surface that has come in contact with raw meat before any other item is placed on that surface (or better, prep fruits and vegetables before using a cutting board or utensil for prepping meat items)
- Always cook meat until the juices run absolutely clear.