Barrie-Muskoka Vehicle Maintenance - Top Car Problems
Be careful not to overlook car problems that need attention. They are often too easy to get used to, until the problem becomes critical.. According to the Vehicle Maintenance Council, 4 out of 5 cars have one of these 12 problems:
- Worn brake parts: Postponing brake service can be a safety hazard and increases the eventual cost of a braking system overhaul.
- Tired windshield wiper blades: Streaky, smudgy windows are a sign of worn blades.
- Burned out lights: If you can't see or be seen (especially the turn signals) there is a safety issue (and a big fine!)
- Tired tires: Worn tires are dangerous. Proper inflation, alignment and balance will extend tire life.
- Clogged filters: Scheduled replacement of air, oil, gas, fuel, and transmission fluid filters extend car life and improve performance. Follow your Owner's Manual.
- Worn spark plugs: Worn plugs waste gas and increase exhaust emissions by causing the engine to run poorly.
- Corroded battery cables: Corroded cables and a weak battery cause starting trouble. If the engine turns over slowly, it may be time to have battery and charging system checked.
- Glazed belts, rotten hoses: A slipping belt can affect engine cooling, alternator, power steering, and air conditioner. Replace worn belts before they fail. Brittle or rotten cooling system hoses can lead to fluid leakage and eventual overheating. Others hoses for vacuum and power steering systems, hinder performance and safety.
- Damaged CV joint boots: These rubber boots protect the critical CV joints (constant velocity joints) that deliver power to your wheels. These should be inspected regularly and replaced as needed.
- Neglected cooling system: Periodic servicing of the cooling system helps prevent deterioration of radiator or heater core.
- Leaking shock absorbers: Worn shocks or struts affect ride control, ride comfort, and shorten tire life.
- Leaking muffler: Have your car put on a lift occasionally to check the muffler and other parts of the exhaust system.