Barrie-Muskoka Nearby: Parry Sound
Parry Sound History
In the 1600's it was used as summer hunting and fishing grounds by the Huron natives.
In 1822, Admiral Henry Wolsey Bayfield was surveying and mapping Lake Huron and Georgian Bay, and named the Parry Sound bay in honour of the great arctic explorer, Sir William Edward Parry.
About 1857, James and William Gibson erected a sawmill at the mouth of the Seguin River. In 1863, the mill was bought by William Beatty and his sons James and William, who began the planning and settlement of 2,169 acres.
Parry Sound Overview
The community is the prime access point for Georgian Bay's 30,000 islands, the result of multi-coloured glacial rock formations left behind in the wake of the last ice age. Visitors can observe the signature wind-swept pines, natural wildlife habitats, and the shining waters of Georgian Bay.
Official City of Parry Sound web site.
Business listings for Parry Sound
Parry Sound Attractions
Algonquin Regiment Rotary Fitness Trail
The trail begins at Champagne Street in old Parry Harbour, winds its way along the spectacular shoreline of Parry Sound, and ends at the Salt Docks on Marion Avenue . Five kilometres of pathway show Georgian Bay's natural splendour. of of well-maintained pathways, with stunning views. North of the town's Salt Dock Wharf, the trail turns into 2.5 kilometres of the North Shore Rugged Hiking Trail, intended for avid (hard core) hikers.
Bobby Orr Hall of Fame
Charles W. Stockey Centre for the Performing Arts
Two Bay Street
Parry Sound, ON, P2A 1S3
705.746.4466 toll free: 877.746.4466
The accomplishments of Parry Sound's favourite son are chronicled and celebrated in the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame, which is housed in the Charles W. Stockey Centre for the Performing Arts. Bobby began playing hockey in Parry Sound, rose to hockey superstardom. See the stick and puck he used to score the Stanley Cup-winning goal of 1970, his original locker from the Boston Gardens, two of his Stanley Cup rings and much more. Also make time to see exhibits on recent Bobby Orr Hall of Fame inductees, the souvenir shop, and skill-testing games. Open 7 days a week, 10 am to 6 pm
PO Box 253
Parry Sound, ON Canada P2A 2X4
Located on Wasauksing Ojibway First Nation's Territory (Parry Island), this was once a thriving town and the deepest freshwater port in Canada. Built by lumber baron J.R. Booth,who sought a deep fresh water port and short rail route to the Atlantic Ocean. Today it is a ghost town, and visitors can check out the building foundations and sidewalks that remain. Today, several building foundations and sidewalks remain. Permission to view the site must be obtained from the Wasauksing First Nations Band Office.
Dorset Scenic Lookout Tower and Information Centre
The tower and area are bvaing re-developed and the Tall Pines Snowmobile Club grooms the winter trails to provide year round access. For better viewing there are "view finder" signs, at the bottom of the Tower at Peek-A-Boo rock and for the strong and at the top of our tower for the athletic. There are two paved parking areas, and Toilets, as well as extensive picnic area and maintained hiking trails. Tower use is a "use at own risk" and signs are posted throughout the area. High risk use of Tower and Mountain is not permitted as the liabilities are considerable. Open daily May 17 to June 20 9 am to 6 pm; June 21 to September 1 daily 9 am to 8 pm; September 2 to October 13 daily 9 am to 7 pm; October 13 to October 31 daily 9 am to 7 pm (weather permitting). Admission: All Vehicles $3.00 per car, Buses o $20.00.
Georgian Bay Cruise Company
beside lighthouse, on Parry Sound waterfront
99 Champagne St.
Parry Sound, ON P2A 3C2
705-746-6064 Fax: 705-746-7022 Toll Free: 1-888-283-5870
Cruise and dine through the 30,000 Islands aboard the M.V. Chippewa, a former Niagara Falls Maid of the Mist.
The M.V. Chippewa is a 65 ft. Classic Georgian Bay tug with charm & charisma. She is fully equipped with washrooms and is also licensed by the L.L.B.O. Commentators explain the sights and points of interest along the way with informal talks. They offer: daytime excursions, dinner/sunset cruises, island restaurant stopovers, fall colour tours and two hour sightseeing tours.
Island Queen Cruise
9 Bay St,
Parry Sound, ON P2A 1S4
705-746-2311 Toll Free: 800-506-2628
The Island Queen Cruise departs the docks at for a three hour unforgettable trip along the narrow channels and shallow waterways of the 30,000 Islands of Georgian Bay. Among the largest concentration of islands in the world! The triple deck "Island Queen," is a modern, well equipped cruise ship, accommodating 550 passengers, and is wheelchair accessible.
Old Fire Hall Museum
Market Square, Mary St, downtown Parry Sound
This 1893 fire hall, is now a refurbished historical landmark that is open to the public during the summer months. The original bell called the volunteer firefighters for 73 years and sounded the nine o'clock curfew until WW II. Open to the public.
Parry Sound Station Gallery
1 Avenue Road,
Parry Sound, ON P2A 2A6
The C.P.R. station was renovated as a historical building and became home to the Parry Sound Station Gallery in 2000. The station once welcomed King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, and is an aesthetic treasure, with its conical "witch's hat" roof and cedar shingle siding.
Seguin Recreational Trail
Park-To-Park Trail Association
1A Church Street
Parry Sound, ON P2A 1Y2
(705) 746-4455 Fax: (705) 746-4435 Toll Free: 1 (888) 746 4455
The Seguin Recreational Trail, following the route of the former Grand Trunk Railway, extends from highway 400 (former highway 69), at the Information Centre, 10 minutes south of Parry Sound, then eastward to Elmsdale where it meets with Highway 11. It forms part of the 230 Park to Park segment of the /Transportation-Canada Trail system, whichis becoming the longest trail system in the world. The Trail is flat and hard-packed, making it ideal for snowmobiles, snowshoe's, ATV's, bicycles and hikers alike. When you follow this trail, you will see visible evidence of the logging and railway history of the area, inlcuding early settlement villages and colonization roads. The trail also passes numerous lakes, rivers and streams, and extensive forest, field and wetland habitat and the trail cuts laterally across the Canadian Shield exposing the glacially scarred granite bedrock.
Seguin Township Museum, (formerly Humphrey Township Museum)
Highway 141, just opposite Clear Lake Road
2 Bay Street, Parry Sound, ON P2A 1S3
The Museum is a log building constructed in the early 1870s. At that time it served the community as a Methodist Church and later as a school. The Museum features artifacts from the late 1800s, primarily found in the Humphrey Township.The museum also hosts the popular Home of Festival of the Sound Open daily from July 1st weekend to September (Labour Day). Admission is free, however, all donations are gratefully accepted.
West Parry Sound District Museum & Observation Tower
17 George Street, running off of Great North Road
Box 337 Parry Sound P2A 2X4
Tel: (705) 746-5365 1-888-624-9005 Fax: (705) 746-8775
Located at the base of Parry Sound's 96-foot observation tower with 131 steps to reach the top, overlooks Georgian Bay. Themes of some permanent exhibits include trapping, shipping, First Nations, logging, agriculture and cottaging. New exhibits are brought in to their two temporary galleries every four to eight weeks, encompassing every thing from anthropology to science to fine arts. Open Thursdays to Saturdays, 10 am to 4 pm and Sundays, 1 pm to 4 pm.
Map of Hotels and Attractions